Powered By Blogger

Thursday, February 6, 2014

Allow Me to Introduce Myself

I am a cancer survivor. I had three surgeries at Northwestern Memorial Hospital this past winter in 2012. As of right now, all is well! Nothing has come back, and I am hoping to keep it that way! 
I recently has three surgeries for cancer on my scalp. They were on 1/23/2012,2/8/2012, and 2/20/2012. It was a very scary experience. I was diagnosed on 11/15/2011, and from there, we saw surgeon after surgeon. Eventually, we decided to go to Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. My first surgery was called Mohs surgery, named after the person who invented it. I had to have shots in my head to numb it up. The Mohs surgery involved taking the cancer cells out, and then looking under a microscope to see if they were gone or not. It took three tries to get it all out. Waiting for the results each time was the hardest part. 
  The surgery on 2/8/2012 was to close everything up. It was a very emotional time for all of us. Originally, the surgeons were going to shave half of my head in order to operate. However, on the day of surgery, they said that they were going to take a skin graft from my leg instead, so it wouldn't be so traumatic for me. The worst part of the surgery was being put under general anesthesia. I remember having a mask put on my face just before I went under. It was the scariest experience of my life. 
  The surgery on 2/20 was to remove a benign cyst that had the potential to grow. I was sedated during the procedure. 
I am now having a surgery in June to correct the bald spot. They have to expand my skin over time and stretch it over the spot. The goal of this blog is for me to post updates and pics on a weekly basis. Please follow me!

No comments:

Post a Comment